Monday, December 27, 2010

The Older You Get.

Maligayang Pasko at Bagong Taon!
The season is truly a bit different here in the Philippines. First, of course, it's hot and well... just different.

On Christmas eve we had a pleasant surprise with a Christmas Conference put on by our mission president for the mission. It was a great meeting and it really helped us all to remember the true meaning and sacrifices of Christmas. They also set up a really nice, catered lunch and we had a gift exchange as well. It was great to be able to see other missionaries and have a little of a break to celebrate.

Christmas here was a humbling experience. We have little kids come to our house singing carols every day for money. We try our best to feed them though and give them crackers and fruit. It breaks my heart to see them, the same kids that dig through our trash everyday for food. It helps me to recognize that there is so much that I have to be thankful for.

Christmas day was great to be able to talk to you. Elder Sewell made my companion, myself, and his companion a great breakfast for lunch and made banana pancakes and bacon; Elder Tengelsen and I in exchange made turon for everyone. Than after we were done working that night, we all got together, listened to some Christmas songs from Sister Squires, and had a really interesting dinner from things people gave us - popcorn, pickles, arroz caldo, and peach sparkling cider. It was the best and I was so lucky to be able to have great elders to celebrate with.

Christmas truly not only takes a different meaning I think in a third world country, but just being a little older as well. It seems that the older you get, the less you receive, the more you give, but the more you are happy. From going to innocent children excited to see presents under the tree, to excited adults wanting to give all - Christmas truly changes, I feel, as we change. I know that I, of little sacrifice, have realized how much I have to be thankful for and am proud to have a good family that has helped me to realize that.

I love you all so much, and hope your days are still merry and bright. As for the new year, the fireworks are already started and I know I'm going to have many stories to tell you about that!

Love,
Elder Corpuz