Wednesday, August 24, 2011

An Elect Lady.

Dear Mom,
You know, it's been a longer week than usual, but not too much has happened. I feel like I say that every week, I'll stop saying that.

Moving out of the last apartment.
Well, we still aren't moved into our new apartment, so we're just squashed in like sardines in our little dink right now. It's a lot of fun though. Elder Aquilena and Elder Naraja are a lot of fun, and it's nice to be around other missionaries. I wouldn't mind spending the rest of the transfer there to tell you the truth.

This past week, since we've finally found an apartment, we've finally been able to focus on the area. No really crazy things have happened just yet, that will take some time. Heavenly Father has put a lot of trust in us to build up this area from the bottom right up. It's taken a lot of patience, and a lot of learning for me. I feel like like sometimes, this mission is more for me than for the other people. Seeing the change in me and the blessings I'm receiving in my life and in the change I see in me,  often seem too abundant. It's true that in helping others, you help yourself in turn.

This past week, I was surprised to be able to sing at temple tour. Sister Galvez, who has become like my big sister in the mission, gave me the opportunity to sing at the last station. We were together for my first three transfers in Quezon City. I sang a song called "I feel my Savior's Love" which is a song that they sing in primary. It was such a great opportunity. I got to see lots of familiar faces, people I've taught, and Elder Tropia, my last companion. It was so nice to see them and remember that I have actually done at least a little good out here. There was one person that said that I sounded like an angel, and another that said it felt like I was hugging her with my words, even though she couldn't understand. I really don't sing that well, I think it's just something for them to hear someone sing without a Filipino accent that's all haha. All in all, I was thankful for the opportunity. Maybe I'll actually take time to work on singing when I come home. It's blessed me a lot in the mission just that I can carry a tune and sound semi-ok. Sister Galvez goes home in a couple weeks, I'm going to miss her a lot.

Something that I've really studied a lot this past week is about the pioneers of the church and the faithfulness they had. I guess I don't really have time to go over the many things they had to go through, but in short, they went through a lot. They were driven from homes, killed, and were tormented and tortured because of what they chose to believe in. I don't know if I could ever have that kind of faith, but I'm thankful they did.

One of the people I really studied about this past week was Joseph Smith's wife, Emma Smith. She went through so much. From losing children, watching her husband get tar-and-feathered, and eventually endure his martyrdom. Yet through it all, she stayed strong. I've compared myself to Emma, and although I'm obviously not a girl, I've done my best to try to be like her. To be a little stronger and work a little harder. Something I really like that Emma said is this quote:

"No amount of sorrow can make things right, only the Lord's will can do that... If we let Him."

I've really learned that in the past five weeks with all that's happened. We can beat ourselves up all we want, but it's not going to make things any better. We are young, we make mistakes, but we must get back up and let go. Sometimes being strong, can be a very lonely thing, as Joseph Smith's mother says, but as Joseph Smith says, "If we are faithful, all of our losses will be made up." Being faithful even until death. Although that may never be what it comes down to for me, I really want to work to have that faith.

Today we got to go to the temple, and it was probably one of the best experiences I've had in the temple in a really long time. I took my burdens in with me, and left with nothing but a small piece of heaven. We're so lucky to be able to experience the gift of the peacefulness of the temple in our mission.

Anyway, I'll email you back again soon. Everything for now is well. I'll share with you a secret that a ward missionary here named Amy told me this week.

When she struggles or has really hard problems, she just looks in the mirror, smiles, and says to herself, "All is well."

It's worked miracles in my life this week, maybe it will work miracles in yours. Until Monday.

Love,
Elder Corpuz

We had surprise guests at our District Meeting yesterday: President and Sister Sperry!

The best zone in PQCNM.